When someone you love is grappling with drug or alcohol addiction, it can be difficult to determine the best way to help. Although your loved one’s addiction may be very apparent to you, they may struggle to see it.
Perhaps you’ve tried to initiate conversations in the past, but despite having the best intentions, those discussions turn emotional, and the addicted person becomes even more defensive, isolated and unwilling to acknowledge that they have a problem.
What Is an Intervention?
People struggling with addiction are typically in denial, unwilling to seek treatment and unable to recognize the detrimental effects their behavior has on themselves and others. An intervention gives an addicted person the opportunity to put an end to their behavior before things get worse, and may motivate them to accept help.
A professional intervention is a structured, planned out process conducted by family, friends and clinically trained intervention specialists, or interventionists. The intervention:
• Offers specific examples of destructive behaviors and how they’ve impacted the addicted person and their loved ones
• Provides a comprehensive treatment plan that identifies the best course of action
• Clearly explains the consequences if the individual decides against treatment, such as asking them to move out of the house
Benefits of a Professional Intervention
Staging an intervention on your own isn’t an easy thing to do, which is why Guardian Recovery Network recommends staging a professional intervention. Instead of initiating dead-end conversations on your own that only sink your loved one deeper into denial, a focused, professional approach incurs a higher likelihood of putting a stop to their downward spiral once and for all.
Guardian’s lead interventionist Joshua Scott and his experienced support team have decades of experience conducting professional interventions. Thanks to our evidence-based approach, the Guardian team has successfully guided 98% of intervention clients into treatment and onto recovery.
Steps to an effective intervention process include:
• In-depth facilitation by a fully licensed, trained interventionist who creates a plan of action that encompasses intervention participants, intervention setting, and the most effective approach to incite change
• Thorough planning for pre-admission and immediate travel to a residential treatment center that meets an individual’s personal and financial needs
• Education for intervention participants to gain a better understanding of the disease of addiction, family dynamics and the importance of family in recovery
• Mediation and guidance during the intervention as participants express their emotions and struggles that have resulted from their loved one’s addiction
• Transportation accompaniment and support for the individual who decides to accept help
Ensure a Successful Intervention
If you’re considering staging a professional intervention for your loved one, you’re already on the right path. Your loved one has your support, which is half the battle. Still, intervention is just the beginning, and it can make or break an individual’s recovery.
With a 98% intervention success rate, Guardian Recovery Network can help you help your loved one heal. We’re with you every step of the way, supporting you through our entire continuum of care. To learn more about how we can help stage a professional intervention that provides the wakeup call your loved one needs, call us at 877-831-2533 or connect with us online.